How often are we tempted to give our furry friend a bite from our plate? He looks at us with those big eyes that we just can’t resist him …

But do we do his good by giving him, even a little, of our food?

The answer is: No. Give the leftovers to the cat , as well as give the leftovers to the dog it’s dangerous. This is because cats and dogs usually can’t digest the very foods we love the most (often rich in oils and spices)!

Let’s see what are the most dangerous foods for our four-legged friends:

  • Chocolate. This is a food loved by everyone … but beware: the theobromine contained in chocolate is harmful to our animals and causes them to accelerate heart, tremors and in the most serious cases even death.
  • Milk and derivatives (cheeses, ice cream, etc.). Once weaning is over, our furry friends stop producing lactase, the enzyme used to digest the lactose contained in milk and its derivatives. For this reason it is good that they do not ingest this type of food, if we want to avoid intestinal problems.
  • Animal bones. Especially if small (chicken or rabbit), even worse if cooked. When bones are small or cooked and therefore more fragile and with a tendency to break, they become a serious danger for our animals that by ingesting them could injure themselves or even risk intestinal perforations.
  • Avocado. This fruit contains in the pulp, in the seeds and in the leaves, a toxic principle for our furry friends, called “persin”.
  • Sugars and Confectionery. Better to avoid giving our dogs and cats cookies, cakes, snacks, bread or candies. In addition to causing gum problems, their intestines are unable to digest these foods. Even a small amount leads to altering their organism with the danger of the onset of diabetes and repercussions on the heart. For Carbohydrates , on the other hand, it is necessary to make a separate discussion: “ Are carbohydrates bad for you?
  • Savoury foods (chips, pretzels, snacks). Salt is the main enemy of the heart and arteries. In addition to this, in the immediate future, it can cause our furry friends to vomit, diarrhea, fever and, in the most serious cases, even lead to death.
  • Grapes and raisins. This fruit is not digestible for our animals, and can cause vomiting as well as kidney problems.
  • Legumes, onions and cabbage. These foods all cause excessive fermentation in the intestines of our animals, and are therefore to be avoided.
  • Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants. All vegetables that belong to the Solanaceae family, from the name of the substance they contain: solanine, which our animal friends are unable to digest and can cause them tachycardia and breathlessness. If cooked, however, these foods lose this substance and can also be consumed by our animals, provided they like them.
  • Sausages. Not only are they too salty, but today the skin of cured meats is almost always made of synthetic plastic material, therefore harmful to health.
  • Onion and Garlic. Dogs and cats do not have the enzyme for their digestion. If ingested these foods can cause vomiting, diarrhea and serious damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Baby food for babies. They often contain onion powder as a flavoring, which is therefore not digestible for our four-legged friends.
  • Raw eggs. As for us humans, raw eggs can carry a salmonella risk. But in animals they also have another harmful effect, as egg white can block the effects of biotamine, a vitamin that helps hair growth.

So what should we give to our animal friends? To deepen the subject, here what you need to know about feeding cats and dogs .